June 06, 2007

PRIDE




How the mighty temperatures have fallen - brrr! Three days ago, it was 27 degrees and humid; today it's 11 degrees out! I'm all for a high-pressure system, but this is a bit ridiculous. Oh well - it won't last long and it makes for good sleep at night, I guess.

What's going on in my life now - I am a parade marshall for the Kingston Pride parade this coming Saturday! Whoop! I'm really excited - it's my first Pride event ever. Well, I've volunteered at the women's dances put on by SACK, but they aren't strictly Pride events, despite the fact that 99% of attendees are lesbian women.

As a straight supporter of LGBT rights, I recognize that I hold heterosexual privilege. As the saying goes, with privilege comes resonsibility. I feel a responsibility to contribute to providing a safe space for the lesbian, gay, bisexual ans transgendered individuals in the Kingston community to express their pride, their sexuality, their love, their joy, their defiance to the dominant paradigm; and I want to show my support publicly.

I feel it's worth posting a couple of links to relevant local resources; one is Out in Kingston, which has a long list of queer-positive spaces and organizations/meetings/meetups for the LGBT community. Another is Kingston Pride, which has information on this year's Pride celebration in our city.

I am proud to be able to make this small contribution to the Pride events this year. If you're in the area, please come out and support the parade; or the Pride parade in your area.

No comments: