June 06, 2007

Cuz I Yam What I Yam

Ever hear a song that just hits you at the right place, at the right time of your life, and becomes "your" song for a while? Not one you share with your partner; but your own personal mantra.

I have one. I don't know how I managed not to know this one till now (well, actually, I do; I don't listen to commercial radio much and *never* listen to Top 40 stations, so I'm always behind on the new music) because it's from 2002. It became my song this spring when I was going through some difficult times; at times I wondered whether I was being unreasonable, or expecting too much from others; sometimes I wondered whether I was completely crazy. Hearing this song, and reading the lyrics, reminded me that I can only be who I am, and unapologetically so. The lyrics honestly proved to be a catalyst during that hell; the "coincidence" of which reminds me of my husband's belief that there are no real coincidences. In any case, here it is:

Don't Ask Me Why - Seven and the Sun

Don't ask me why
Don't ask me to explain I will not try
I'm who I am
That's all you need to know
So let it go

I will not change for you or anyone at all
I'm who I am I'm all I ever need to know
And you know I'll never be afraid

Don't ask me why
Don't ask me to pretend I will not try
There's more to me
Then you will ever know or ever see

I will not change, no I will never compromise
I'm who I am I'm all I ever need to be
So let go or turn and walk away

What we are
What we are
We're deeper than the sea
Higher than the stars
The gods we long to be

What we are
What we are
We're beautiful you see
Brighter then the sun
We're all we need to be

No comments: